Wow. It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? Delays aside, here we go for a new caption contest, this time with a slightly more focused idea. For this one, take a minimate from any property, and place it in a picture with a figure from any other line, as long as that figure represents the same character in the same costume. Captions and word bubbles are welcome, but they are not completely necessary.
Rules are as follows:
1. Keep it appropriate, as always.
2. Make sure the characters line up costume wise, otherwise, I won’t consider it.
3. Send it to email@example.com by Tuesday and seventeenth,
4. And finally, make the subject line “Caption”
I will post results the next day (Wednesday).
Just for a basic guideline, here is a quick example of what one could do:
Beyond that, just have fun with your pictures and please submit if you read this so I can put up more contests, possibly with prizes, if one so desired. Also, the top five will be put up unless there are too few submissions. It doesn’t take long to do, and it is extremely fun to see the results.
Have fun and good luck
You have Minimate questions? DST has answers in their latest Q&A. This time, the questions ponder the likelihood of Predator, DC, Agents of SHIELD, and all things Marvel.
- Another Strange Tales box set is more likely than accompanying two-packs.
- Power Man & Iron Fist has been considered for a new two-pack, but no plans for a Heroes for Hire box set.
- Phoenix Five Namor and Magik would be possible, but the window of opportunity is closing.
- No plans for more Lord of the Rings.
- Unlikely for some of the following: Hellcat, Nighthawk, Black Knight (classic), Moondragon (70s), Tigra, Falcon (classic), Wonderman (original & 70s), Wasp, Jocasta, Jarvis, Guardians of the Galaxy, Jack of Hearts, Imperial Guard, Rogue (1st appearance & evil), Kitty Pride (1st appearance), and Dazzler (disco).
- No plans for Inhumans, but could change in 2014.
- Too soon for another Deadpool boxset.
- DST doesn’t have the rights to Stan Lee.
- DST will keep Man-Thing in mind.
- DST doesn’t have the rights to Predator.
- Nightcrawler, Hulkbuster Iron Man, and Doc Ock certainly possible.
- If DST were to tie-in to a storyline, they’d plan for synergy among their various release outlets (boxsets, Toys R Us exclusives, etc)
- No plans to make a line centered on the Ultimate universe, but always a chance for more Ultimate Minimates.
- Walking Dead series 5 and 6 have been planned. Series 5 is being painted now.
- While Spider-Man is always on their minds, no plans for a boxset featuring Manspider, Scarlet Spider, Anti-Sinister Six Spidey, and Spider-Man Noir.
- DST doesn’t have the rights to Hellboy.
- No plans for Gambit, though he’s certainly possible.
- DST doesn’t really take secondary market prices in mind when planning on updating a figure.
- DST doesn’t have the rights to Nintendo games, though they have inquired.
- DC Minimates depends entirely on DC.
- More Invincible depends on how the first boxset performs.
- No plans for an updated, accessory-heavy Iceman.
- Customer Service is always a good place to start if you have issues with your Minimates.
- No plans for a third Best of series, or a new Invisible Woman.
- Kudos to customer service Amy!
- Another Marvel series 50 is unlikely, though the “losers” from the polls can certainly show up somewhere eventually.
- 2014 may be Marvel movie-heavy.
- If Chuck could pick an overlooked Spidey villain, he’d go with someone from the 70s, like Gibbon.
- Walking Dead’s Carl will come eventually.
- High cost and low interest doesn’t really support the possibility of any playsets.
- If Agents of SHIELD gets picked up for a second season, DST may look into Minimates.
- More for Thor: Dark World was planned, but TRU passed on the line, so the extra characters probably won’t be made.
- Miracleman is not part of the standard Marvel license.
- For the movie characters, DST can only produce characters that they have reference material for. Silver Samurai didn’t make the cut for the Wolverine series as a result. (Editor’s note: Probably why there is no final-battle Whiplash too.)
- TRU may have passed on Captain America: Winter Soldier Minimates.
Marvel Movies is releasing a new animated feature titled Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United on December 3rd. As an added incentive, the Blu-Ray combo pack will come with an exclusive Iron Man Minimate.
courtesy of Marvelous News
According to Marvelous News, there’s also an exclusive Hulkbuster Iron Man & Hulk in Iron Man armor 2-pack coming to more.marvel.com.
courtesy of Marvelous News
Diamond Select Toys will be offering
20% off all in-stock items 10% of all in-stock items, with select items at 20% off at their web store over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Naturally, this includes Minimates.
Check out their website for all the details and for promo codes.
Edit: Thanks for the correction, Zach.
The latest from our friend Luke:
Black Friday Minimate Deals at Luke’s Toy Store
We are planning our biggest sale ever at Luke’s Toy Store, with the vast majority of our inventory getting big markdowns! You can see our Black Friday ad below, but these are only a fraction of the items that will be on clearance. The sale will run from 12:01 AM CST on Friday, November 29th to midnight on Monday, December 2nd. We hope to see you there!
Minimates galore! Here’s the latest from the DST Q&A.
- Sounds like no plans for 80s Avengers.
- No plans for Seinfeld, Quantum Leap, Mortal Kombat, Batman 1966 TV series, Dick Tracy 1990 movie, The Rocketeer comic book and movie, Death Race 2000, Disney’s Herbie the Love Bug, or Army of Darkness, although one was looked at.
- No plans for more Tomb Raider
- No plans for Breaking Bad
- Serpent Squad has never been discussed
- Star Trek did okay, but no current plans for another set.
- The Walking Dead zombies are specifically from the comic, so a poll would have to be similar to the Marvel one, with choices
- Two-packs are never re-released
- No plans for Kick-Ass, though it has been discussed.
- No plans for Walking Dead vehicles
- Inhumans have been considered.
- Specific release dates for TRU Marvel 17 will be released at some point.
- No plans for any more Thor than has been announced.
- No plans for anything larger than 2 inches
- No plans for a BAF
- A bag of stands is $5.00 on DST’s website
- Also sold at trade shows they attend.
- No plans for more Resident Evil
Here’s a link: http://www.artasylum.com/2013/10/ask-dst-228-more-minimates-more-questions/
…And here they are. Only the top three, though I did receive a number of submissions on the last day. Another contest will be posted hopefully within the week, so get ready. I did not post the names of the people who submitted, though feel free to take credit in the comments. These are in no particular order, by the way.
“shh! the show’s about to start”
Thanks to everyone who submitted, and look for another contest coming soon.
First, I’d like to thank everyone who has submitted a picture with a caption as of now, although the number of people who have submitted has been lower than I would prefer. Still, you have through tomorrow for your submissions. If there are not enough, I might limit it to the top 3. This is, however, not the purpose of this post…
Everyone has one or two ideas for minimate box sets, ranging from the “Why haven’t they made that yet?” to the “If only.” Today I’ll be focusing on the latter category . I’ll give my top three ideal box sets, in no particular order. My current favorite Marvel character is Iceman, owing to mediocre writing for Fantomex lately. This spawns, obviously, a wish for a “Through the Ages” Box set. This set would, at least for me, include:
-AOA Iceman, with parts for both the classic and sinister look
-”Unleashed” Iceman, a la the Venom with interior Bobby Drake
-Battle of the Atom Future Iceman
-Snowy Iceman with lots of, well, snow
This line-up would be a perfect box set for me especially with the Bobby Drake. Again though, these are ideal situations, and with that comes my next pick…
“…and the X-Men” Box set. Featuring:
-Quentin Quire with psychic effects
-Broo with rabid and normal heads/bodies
-Doop with… um… Doop things?
-Toad, complete with janitor equipment
Again, an ideal box set, but one that will probably never come to fruition without Doop being replaced by Teacher Logan (Oddly enough, not a complaint). And finally, my final perfect box set is:
-Ghost, with some alternate phased parts, i.e. Invisible Woman
-Nuke, or Scourge, or course with alternate mask/heads
-Ant Man (Eric O’ Grady), with a small version and alternate hair
-Black Widow, with alternate headpiece for non masked version
So, there are my top 3 box sets. What are yours? Sound off in the comments below, and submit a caption for the contest if you feel like it.
I figured I would try something new this week. Take a picture of a minimate (Doesn’t matter which one), add a caption, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. I will sort through however many I receive and then post what I believe to be the top 5. If there is a good response to this, I can put more contests up in the future.
1. Please keep it appropriate. I really don’t want any kids getting a wrong message…
2. Keep it to one frame and a caption.
3. Email it with the subject line “Caption.” If that is not the subject line, I will not look at it.
4. Send it in by the 23 of October. A week is fairly short, but I think it is fine for only one panel of content.
5. Keep it to one submission to a person.
Beyond that, you are free to use anything you want in the pictures, including other toy lines, but the main focus should be a minimate. If there are any questions, shout out in the comments. If you want to see more contests like this, please either tell me in the comments or in the email with a submission.
Toy News International has posted a video of an interview with Zach Oat about some of the things coming from DST in the future.
Also posted is their gallery from the floor of NYCC, including what may be our first look at the Aliens Minimates.