We’re back for another great (and highly anticipated) caption contest, this time revolving around Valentine’s Day, as was suggested in the comments a couple of weeks ago. Rules are as follows:
1. Keep it appropriate. This isn’t Last Tango in Paris.
2. The picture can be creating a scene from your own imagination, but it must contain at least two characters who could theoretically be viewed as a couple within their own universes. This means only couples within their own universes. So no Hawkeye and Wonder Woman or Terminator with the Lost in Space robot.
3. No custom minimates. This is slightly unfortunate, but I do want to keep the playing field fair for everyone, customizer or not.
4. Keep the theme of the picture Valentine’s Day or love. So don’t have the couple fighting bad guys (unless it’s a Nite Owl-Silk Spectre thing).
5. Email it to email@example.com by the 20th of February.
Again, only eight are needed for a prize. If you think you have an idea, please submit.
I will add an example if anyone wants to see one, and please suggest any ideas for future contests or ideas for the site. Have fun with it, and good luck.
Series 2 of Luke’s 3D printed accessories has been revealed! This series focuses on four dynamic display stands: the Sprinting Stand, Handstand Base, Super Tall Flight Stand, and Hand Propelled Flight Stands. These accessories are all compatible with Minimates, and allow you to recreate your favorite action scenes. Each item is available individually or as a set of 4 at a discounted price. These exclusive accessories are in stock now at Luke’s Toy Store.
At some point over the next day or so, the server that hosts MMHQ will be down briefly for an upgrade. I don’t have an exact time for when this downtime will occur, outside of the nebulous time frame of “tomorrow night”. Theoretically, the downtime should only last 15-30 minutes.
The latest Q&A has been posted, with tons of questions. Below are the highlights.
- Likely no chance to release the Thor: Dark World figures from the canceled TRU series.
- DST has nothing against the Wrecking Crew.
- No plans for the Hobbit.
- Outside of comic shops and Toys R Us, online is your best bet for finding Minimates.
- DST picks their Marvel line-ups by throwing darts at a board with every Marvel character’s name on it (not really).
- Marvel movie Minimates can be tricky to make. DST has to start work well before the movie is released to have a chance at getting product on the shelves in a timely manner. This means they have to work with early reference material, which affects what characters are available to use. (Editor’s note: this is likely why you didn’t see a final battle Whiplash from Iron Man 2, among other notable absences)
- Tomb Raider should be hitting Toys R Us shelves now.
- Battle Beasts series 2 should hit specialty shelves this summer. Not clear yet if TRU will carry them.
- No plans for a Guardians of the Galaxy comic-based box set to coincide with the movie.
- No plans for Archangel.
- No plans for Brotherhood of Mutants, though 2014 line plan is not locked in yet.
- DST would love to finish off the Warriors Three, but so far they’ve been cut twice from the line.
- Hopefully Banshee will be released eventually.
- Nintendo is not interested in Minimates at this time.
- Always a chance for Spidey and friends.
- DST would love to do Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- No plans for Agent Venom.
- Blue-suited Steve Rogers will be available in the Captain America: Winter Soldier line, but no plans to rerelease the comic version.
- DST’s window of opportunity for the Marvel movies is incredibly short, with rare exceptions like the Iron Man 3 armor box set.
- DST has adopted a “wait and see” approach to Marvel NOW, to figure out which characters to tackle.
- For the most part, Chuck prefers they use regular hands for the figures, but sometimes the designers slip specialized hands past his notice.
- DST would love to do more Invincible Minimates.
- DST will try to keep flight stands in stock.
- No plans for accessory sets just yet.
- A chance of seeing a new Ghost Rider and Venom to round out the Thunderbolts, but not a high priority.
- No plans for Marvel NOW Ghost Rider in 2014.
- No plans to revisit Superior Spider-Man anytime soon.
- A bulked up Thanos is more likely than an Infinity box set.
- More X-Men are coming this year.
- Deadly Foes and X-Force box sets should be shown by C2E2 if not sooner.
- No plans for new Fantastic Four costumes.
- No plans for 2099.
- New licenses are coming, including one that might be on the fans’ “must do” list.
- Marvel NOW Avengers has been considered.
- No plans for Mac Gargan Venom with scorpion tail.
- It’s doubtful that Todd McFarlane would allow another toy company to touch Spawn, but worth looking into.
- DST looked into Assassin’s Creed, but nothing came from it.
- Street Fighter x Tekken and Marvel vs Capcom didn’t sell as well as DST had hoped, so no plans for anything else from that family for now.
- No plans for Sugar Man, X-Man, Mojo, and Silver Samurai.
- Inhumans and New X-Men have not been ruled out for future sets.
- DST would love to do more Skybound, but they have to pick the right property. Nothing planned currently.
- Star Trek is not selling as well as they would like, so while more hasn’t been ruled out, it isn’t looking very promising.
- DST tries not to answer questions with a definite no in the event that things change. They also won’t say that a certain character will come in a certain series for the same reason. In addition, revealing too much too early can cause problems with the marketing department. (Ed. note: not much point in giving a website the chance to exclusively reveal a new character if Chuck said it would be in that series five months ago)
- Questions concerning Agent 88 would have to be sent to Digger.
- DST is interested in the new Marvel Netflix series, but are waiting to see what happens for now.
- Thundercats wasn’t DST’s license, so not much they can do to keep the line going. They had to sneak the last box set out before the deadline expired.
- DST would love to do more MAX stuff, but there was a change in buyers at Toys R Us, which means he’ll have to be convinced to carry the line again.
Here they are, the results everyone has been waiting for…
I’d like to note that I received only seven distinct (from a different person) entries, which is one short of the eight for a prize. So, so close. The last person who was close to submitting, please submit. Also, the entries are ranked first as distinct entries, and once all the distinct entries are done, the multiples will begin.
The grading criteria are as follows:
1. A recreation of an actual scene, rather than just the idea of the film
2. Creative use of characters and pieces
3. Background and other interesting additions.
Here we go…
1. From Max Ellentuck (Alien)
2. From Feroz Nazir (The Matrix)
3. From Nate Christopher (Kill Bill Vol. 1)
4. From Emily Ellentuck (Star Wars)
5. No name attributed, feel free to claim (Star Trek)
6. No name attributed, feel free to claim (Pulp Fiction)
7. From Jason Sanchez (I’d like to note that this is one of my favorite entries, and the only reason it is not high on the list is that it is from a television show, not a film. Perhaps an upcoming contest… (The Walking Dead))
8. From Max Ellentuck (The Matrix)
9. No name attributed (Ghostbusters)
That’s all, folks. If anyone wants their name/picture removed or if you want to send in any scrapped ideas for the contest, feel free to email me. Also, feel free to question/challenge my decisions in the comments below and please leave any ideas for future contests/reviews (a feature I’m working on getting started). A new contest will be posted soon (hopefully tomorrow) so check back and prepare for the next wave of ideas.
For this contest, all one needs to do is recreate a scene from one’s favorite film (or just an iconic one) with minimates. The only major change is that the scene cannot include minimates from the movie the scene is from. For instance, no Avengers minimates recreating a schwarama scene. No Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc. in a scene from the Avengers, and this includes comic mates in the scene. However, if one wanted to recreate the scene using Wolverine, Iceman, Cyclops or other X-Men, that would be fine. So, no characters from the movie in the recreation of the scene. Guidelines are as follow:
1. Keep it appropriate, as always. Please don’t create any scenes from The Wolf of Wall Street.
2. Keep the characters away from their movies. This one is explained well enough above.
3. Submit all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, January 29.
4. Include the subject “Caption” and name the movie at some point in the email.
As I stated in my last post, if there are more than eight independent entries, there will be a prize for the top picture. So, please submit and the contests can be continued.
Toy Ark has the first look at new Minimates from the Jay and Silent Bob/View Askewniverse, and they are certainly some interesting choices! Fans will soon be able to have their very own Dashboard (buddy) Jesus and Mooby.
courtesy of Toy Ark
io9 has the first look at the upcoming Aliens single-pack army building sets.
courtesy of io9
The first assortment will include Burke, Spunkmeyer, Wierzbowski, and three different Xenomorphs.
Action Figure Insider has the first look at the first box set from the Kill Bill franchise. Based on fight at the House of Blue Leaves, this set will feature the Bride, O-Ren, Gogo, and Sofie.
courtesy of Action Figure Insider
I received four entries this time, and I will post all four. I have ranked them, but their is no prize for this contest. Next contest, if their are more than eight entries, then there will be one. Here they are, and please either email or comment for more ideas for future contests. Also, I plan on beginning to put reviews on the site of new, interesting, and retro minimates. I will try to review suggested minimates, and I will quickly review any mates one ships to me. So… have fun with all of it.
1. From Feroz Nazir
2. From Max Ellentuck
3. From Jason Sanchez
4. From Max Ellentuck
Thanks to everyone who submitted and please submit if you haven’t already. Also, please comment with different ideas for future contests and/or reviews.